Not only is it hard to get veggies inside the stomachs of my husband and son, but to make matters worse, my husband is allergic to raw produce! Yes, that means he actually has a scientific reason for not being able to eat fresh vegetables and fruits! Being the veggie & fruit lover myself, this make cooking a little harder for me to please everyone involved. Therefore, I have to try and sneak in a variety of veggies whenever I can! The following is an example of an invention I came up with when I looked in my fridge and wanted to figure out a way to make them eat the yummy spinach they detest on any other occasion.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 red onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (can substitute 1/2 & 1/2)
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup parmesean cheese
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (divided)
- 1/2 tsp salt (divided)
- 1 lb meat of your choice (optional)
- I like meat balls, but you can use turkey, beef or sausage
- 1 (12 oz) box of pasta (I used egg noodles but anything will work)
1. Heat pot to medium heat & saute EVOO w/the chopped onion, 1/4 tsp salt & a pinch of pepper.
2. When the onions are soft (after about 5 minutes), add chicken broth & garlic,
& saute for about another 2 minutes.
3. Place spinach in a blender and add the onion, garlic, broth mixture.
4. Turn on the blender for about 20 seconds until pureed.
5. Pour sauce back into pot, add the cayenne pepper and the remainder of the
salt & pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. In a bowl, whisk the milk & flour together until blended.
7. Add in the cheese and whipping cream and slowly whisk until blended.
8. Pour milk/cheese mixture into the spinach sauce and stir until blended.
9. Simmer on low for 3-5 more minutes until the desired consistancy.
10. Add tomatoes and let simmer for 2 more minutes.
11. Add the meat of your choice (if using) and toss until coated.
12. Add pasta and toss until coated.
Pour into bowls and top with some freshly grated parmesean cheese!