Saturday, February 25, 2012

Making good food without all of the good stuff? Is that even possible???

We recently found out through some blood work that our son is allergic to the following foods:
  • wheat
  • eggs
  • dairy
  • soy
  • corn
  • beans
  • ginger
  • coffee
  • malt
  • legumes
  • shellfish
  • casein
  • grapes
  • avocado
  • cabbage
  • cucumber
  • mustard seed
  • most nuts
  • vanilla
  • green pepper

Can you picture my reaction when we were told this? Me, the lover of all foods! How is it even possible to have reactions to all of those things? And I'm just telling you the things making his intestines fall apart. He has other sensitivities I'm not even mentioning! So what did we do after we found out? Like any good family finding out that we might have cancer but that there is a cure...we went out and celebrated with some good cancer food before we had to give it up! :)

Hey, don't judge! I needed some gelato to help me say goodbye!

So, we are now starting on a 102 day journey on this diet until our son finishes a brain cognitive program (through Brain Balance). After completion of the program, we can re-introduce the foods one at a time. If there is no reaction to them, we can keep eating them. If there is a reaction, they are off the table completely. However, I honestly think if I can live gluten free, we probably will try to even after the diet's over.

At first I went into mourning, thinking about everything I now could not cook with or worse...EAT! However, it has now become a challenge of how creative I can become cooking extremely healthy and flavorful food in my kitchen. We are 2 days into the 102 day journey and so far, I don't feel as limited as I did at first. Also, when we left Central Market, we had enough groceries for breakfast, lunch & dinner on this diet and spent LESS than our weekly allotted amount! Win Win!

This morning I had a craving for blueberry pancakes and decided to figure out a way to make them without the regular ingredients. Come to find out, it worked! I'll share that recipe with you tomorrow.

Until then...Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment