Saturday, October 5, 2013

Miracle Tea - or so my family likes to call it!

My aunt, cousins and I make this recipe and I honestly don't even know where it came from. It was something I just remember drinking and it always making me feel warm inside and/or curing whatever was ailing me. It is one of those drinks that will cure the feeling of "cold bones", which I often have in the winter. I have changed the recipe up a little, added more spice to suit me, along with subbing out the sugar for honey. It is made often when it is cold at my house. You could also put everything in a crock pot and let it simmer for a couple of hours. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!

Ingredients:
  • 3 large (or 9 small) tea bags
  • Water (enough to fill pot 2/3 full)
  • 1 (12 oz) can frozen orange juice concentrate
  • 1 (12 oz) can frozen lemonade concentrate
  • 1 cup sugar OR 3/4 cup honey (or a mixture of both until you find your perfect sweetness)
  • 4-5 (or more if you want more spice) cinnamon sticks
  • 10 (or more if you want more spice) cloves
  • 1-2 tbsp mulling spices
    • I put my cloves and mulling spices in mesh bags or tea infusers to make it easier for removal later. 

Directions:
 1.  Place spices and tea bags in a pot and fill 2/3 full of water.
*If you have a gas stove, you can take the strings off of the bags and just place them in the pot so they are not a fire hazard.





2. Turn heat on high, cover, and bring to a boil. Keep covered and let boil for 3-5 minutes (the longer, the stronger tea and spice flavor you get).



3. Remove spices and tea bags.




4. Whisk in both juice concentrates, then honey until mixed thoroughly.




5. Pour into mugs and enjoy, refrigerate for later consumption (within 5 days), or freeze for later use!

Goes well by itself, or even with a yummy breakfast, dessert or snack item.
I like eating mine with a slice of pumpkin bread. 
Might be making a loaf of that next!
Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment