Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Dirty Chai Tea Latte

 
First, you are probably all wondering what a "dirty" chai tea latte is. Dirty means it has a shot of espresso in it. My version, however, just has instant espresso powder. I woke up on a Saturday morning craving a wonderfully pipping hot cup of a chai tea latte, knowing full well that we can not have dairy. Then I thought about how coconut milk might actually make it taste even better! We're technically not supposed to have coffee on this diet, but that's an allergy our son is having so I made a semi-exception and used espresso powder for the taste of it. If you like chai tea lattes plain, you can omit it, but my aunt & cousin introduced me to this and I love it because it takes away some of the super sweet taste of the latte and makes it perfect!

Ingredients:
  • 1 c Chai tea mixture
    • You can make your own or if you're in a hurry, buy it in a container from your local grocery. I used a premixed Starbucks version for this recipe.
  •  1 c Coconut milk
  • 1 pinch (1/8 t) instant espresso powder
    • You can substitute instant coffee but double the amount.

Directions:

1. Bring the chai tea to a boil.



2. Whisk in the coconut milk and bring back to a simmer.



3. Turn off the heat and add the espresso powder and whisk until dissolved.



4. As soon as the powder dissolves, pour into your favorite cup & serve!



I hope you enjoy this cup of amazingness as much as I did! Of course, serving along side a plate of freshly baked banana nut muffins helps. You can find that recipe HERE.

Bon Appetit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment