Thursday, March 8, 2012

Brownies!


It's no secret that I love to bake. My family and friends know that crazy things come out of my kitchen, but everyone loves the ones that contain chocolate! Well, on this new diet, I haven't had any chocolate yet and I really needed some brownies! So here is my version of gluten, egg & dairy free brownies! Both Kelly & Kiir couldn't believe how well they turned out. And, they were (and still are after a week) incredibly moist! Enjoy :)

PS, I had two close friends taste-test this for me.

First friend:
"That's horrible! I hate dark chocolate!"

Second friend:
"This is amazing! I LOVE dark chocolate!
Are you seriously telling me this is semi-healthy? Please box this and sell it!"

As you can tell, you have to like dark chocolate to like these brownies!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c oat flour
  • 1/3 c brown rice flour
  • 1/8 c unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 3/4 c bittersweet chocolate chips (at least 60%)
    • save 3/4 c for later
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 30 grams of Stevia
  • 1 t almond extract 
    • We can't use vanilla due to an allergic reaction, but you can if you want!
  • 1/2 c flax seed/water egg substitute (find the recipe here)
  • 1 c walnuts (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and grease an 8 x 8 pan.
(or 13 x 9 if you double the recipe)

2. Sift the flours, cocoa powder, salt & Stevia together into a mixing bowl.



3. Over a double broiler, mix the chocolate & oil and melt the chocolate.



4. Stir in the extract.

5. Beat in the egg substitute (flax seed/water mixture).



6. Slowly add the flour and mix until blended.



7. Stir in chocolate chips (and nuts if using) and pour into your pan.



8. Bake for 35-40 minutes (or until a tooth pick can come out cleanly which is about 28-30 minutes if you double the recipe in a 9 x 13 inch pan).

*TIP:
Half-way through cooking, open the oven & let the pan tap against the oven rack a couple of times. This will allow for some air to escape & the brownies will cook more evenly!



9. Let rest until semi-cooled and then serve!

Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment