Sunday, August 7, 2011

Dashboard Cookies!

Yes, that's right, I'm cooking my cookies on the dashboard of my car! This is a great way for college students that live in the dorm, or kids that want to have fun cooking to make homemade cookies on a HOT summer day without using an oven! 

This post will not include a recipe, but will teach a new and fun technique. Since temperatures have been hitting 110-115 lately in Texas, a friend sent me an article and asked me to try it. I love challenges, so I decided to try it this Saturday morning (when I had the time to sit at home and not have to use my car for a few hours.) The result...well, you'll have to see for yourself! Happy car baking!


Ingredients/Supplies:
  • 1 batch of cookie dough (bought or made are both okay)
  • 1 vehicle, parked in the sun
  • Temperatures getting to 100 degrees or higher

Directions:

1. Lay parchment paper on a baking sheet & lightly grease with cooking spray.

2. Slice or form 1/4" thick cookies & place on parchment paper.



3. Place baking sheet on top of an elevated surface on the dashboard of your car.
 
TIP: You want to elevate the cookie sheet for two reasons:
A. So your dashboard does not get messed up by the hot metal, and
B. So the bottom of the cookies will slightly crisp and the cookies will cook evenly.




4. Close the doors to your car and do not open for 2-1/2 hours!



After 1 hour they should look like this:



After 2 hours they should look like this:



When they are ready (it was 2.5 hours for me), they should look like this:


5. Check the edges of the cookies briefly to see if they are done. 
If not, close the door and let the cookies bake longer, checking every 30 minutes.

6. Remove baking sheet and let cool inside of your house for a few minutes before eating.
TIP: Crack the windows of your car after removing the cookies
so it doesn't smell like cookies for an eternity!

The result...delicious, almost perfect cookies! The only thing that is not quite perfect are the bottoms.
They are a little softer than an oven would allow, but I prefer softer cookies any day of the week!
Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment