Sometimes I get home & I don't want to go out to eat, but I want to make something quick & simple for dinner that will be tasty & fill up my boys. This is one of those meals. We make it often in the Carson house & it has become a favorite. I hope you enjoy this easy Mexican dish from my heart, to your home.
yields 5 tostadas
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed
- 1 jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 lime (you will need both the zest & juice)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- avocado (optional, for the topping)
1. Preheat oven to broiling (500 degrees.)
2. Pour salsa, jalapeno pieces, the zest & juice from a whole lime, salt & pepper into a nonstick pan.
3. Saute on medium-low heat for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the rinsed beans, stir, and saute until the beans are warmed (about 2-3 minutes.)
5. In the meantime, put tostada shells on a baking pan.
6. Use a spoon and top the tostada shells with the bean salsa mixture.
7. Top with cheddar cheese.
8. Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted (roughly 3-5 minutes.)
9. You can serve as is, or top with avocado pieces.
I like to drizzle with a cilantro sauce (from Costco), but my boys like them plain.