This is a simple and easy recipe for a busy family that wants good tasting, but quick meals! It is a base recipe and you can serve it all different ways depending on your family's love for food. Here are just a few examples of how you can twist this into a variety of meals:
1. Make the salsa and top with the chicken (optional, add cheese & sour cream)!
2. Place salsa and chicken in a flour tortilla and roll into a burrito!
3. Roll chicken & cheese in small tortillas, top with salsa & cheese, and bake (enchiladas viola!)
4. Cut up chicken & place in tortilla w/cheese for a quesadilla (optional, serve the salsa on side)!
5. Cut up chicken & place on top of tortilla chips w/cheese & bake for nachos!
6. Cut up chicken & use as fajita meat!
As you can see, this is very versatile and the combinations seem endless!
For presentation purposes, I made option #1.
Serves roughly 4-6 people
For the Chicken:
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup lime juice (fresh is best)
- the zest of 1 lime (optional)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/3 cup Mexican Taco seasoning
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts OR 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can of corn, drained (or roughly 2 cups frozen)
- 1 cup salsa
- Salt & Pepper for taste
1. Mix all ingredients in a large zip-lock baggy.
2. Add chicken, coat, and refrigerate for 30 minutes (no more than 2 hours.)
3. You can cook the chicken in the oven or on the stove:
Stove (medium heat):
Tenders: 3-5 minutes per side
Breasts: 5-7 minutes per side
Oven (425 degrees):
Tenders: 15 minutes
Breasts: 20 minutes
4. Combine Salsa, Beans & Corn in a pot and simmer on low for 5 minutes until corn is tender.
Serve using the method of your choice listed above, or an entirely new invention of your own!