Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes

My Pepaw makes great heart healthy oatmeal pancakes & tops them with apple sauce. While I love his, I wondered what would happen if I changed it up a bit, substituting whole wheat flour, adding honey, cinnamon, & blueberries. The result, well, my Pepaw has used my recipe now too! As an alternative, you can make waffles with this also! We've had these for breakfast, dinner, & even a late night snack!


Ingredients for Pancakes:
  • 2 cups of Oatmeal (instant will NOT work)
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (you can substitute all-purpose)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 cups buttermilk 
    • A tip I learned from my Pepaw: If you don't have buttermilk, pour 2 tbsp of white vinegar in a measurement bowl and fill the rest with milk until you reach 2 cups. Let sit for 10 minutes before adding to the wet mix.
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1-1/2 cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 2/3 chopped nuts (walnuts are my favorite) *optional for those that like nuts!

Ingredients for Cinnamon Syrup:
  • 1 cup regular syrup
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • Just mix the two, heat & serve warm!

Directions:

1. Mix all dry ingredients.
TIP: If you put them all in tupperware, seal the lid and shake,
you don't have to dirty up any other dishes!



2. Whisk eggs, then combine the buttermilk, eggs and oil together.



3. Add the egg/milk/oil mixture to the dry mix and stir together, slowly adding the honey.




4. Let sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour, but it's best when it can sit overnight.

5. Warm up griddle (or waffle iron) to about 350 degrees.

6. Add the blueberries (and nuts if using) and stir.
TIP: If you would like to drop them on top to look pretty after you pour the batter, you definitely can. I just like the flavor it gives off when the blueberry juice creeps into every last ounce by stirring them into the batter! They also tend to stay inside the batter better this way and not burn on the griddle.




7. If it looks too thick, you can add a couple tablespoons of milk at a time to thin the batter out. If you are making waffles, you will need to thin it out before pouring into waffle maker.

8. Cook as you would a regular pancake/waffle.



9. Serve topped with cinnamon syrup or as my Pepaw does, with some apple sauce!



When I cook for a bigger group, I cook in batches, storing the finished ones in my oven on warm,
wrapped in foil. This way we can all enjoy breakfast together!

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment