This is a dessert that my family asks for a lot, but it is not for anyone on a diet! I don't like to make things over and over again because it's boring! However, this is a tried and true classic to them so I thought it fitting for it to be my first blog post. If you don't normally like bread pudding but are adventurous, I encourage you to give it a try! I used to HATE bread pudding, but a recipe very similar to this won me over!
Ingredients for Bread Pudding:
- About 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 (1-pound) loaf of raisin bread (if you don't like raisins, just get cinnamon bread)
- Cut using a bread knife into 1-inch cubes or smaller
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups of sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond flavoring (optional)
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
Directions for Bread Pudding:
1. Lightly butter a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish (about 2 tbsp).
2. Dump the cubes into the dish.
3. Whisk the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until blended (roughly 1-2 minutes.)
4. Add the cream, milk, vanilla, and almond flavoring until blended and becomes a custard
(roughly 1 more minute.)
5. Pour the custard mixture over the bread cubes slowly.
6. Use your hands to press down on the bread until the custard is soaking into all pieces.
7. Let it stand for at least 30 minutes (up to 12 hours) in the fridge,
occasionally pressing bread cubes into the custard mixture.
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
9. Bake until it puffs and is set in the center (about 45 minutes) but be careful to not let burn on top!
10. Set aside to cool (about 20-30 minutes.)
11. Make sauce to drizzle over the top.
Directions for the Sauce:
- Mix water and sugar in a sauce pan and cook until boiling.
- Cook until it reduces to 1 cup (about 10 minutes.)
- Remove from heat and whisk in the whipping cream and cinnamon.
- Drizzle over individual servings of bread pudding.
You can spoon onto a plate or into bowls and drizzle your desired amount of sauce over the top.