I've always been
a scaredy cat hesitant about grilling chicken with a spice rub instead of a wet marinade because it can dry it out, but I wanted to be brave and give it a try! I decided to use bone-in chicken to help with the flavor, and juices, but you can use any cut of chicken with this recipe that you would like. It would even work if you wanted to use a 4-5lb whole chicken, cut into pieces. The spices in this give it a mild kick that is a nice warm heat, but the honey helps to add sweetness. The result was some super tender and juicy chicken that both of my boys, and my grandparents that were visiting loved!
- 4 bone-in Chicken Thighs
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup salt (kosher or sea)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oragano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1. Pour the water, honey & salt in a 1 gallon resealable plastic bag and shake to mix.
2. Put the chicken thighs in the liquid mixture and mix the liquid around to coat.
3. Seal the bag & set it in a leak-proof container to refrigerate for at least 1-1/2 hours.
4. Combine all of the spices in another 1 gallon resealable container and set aside.
5. Remove the chicken from the fridge & pat dry, but do NOT rinse!
6. Place 1 or 2 chicken pieces at a time in the spice bag & shake around until fully coated.
7. When all pieces are coated with the spice mixture, set aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
8. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
9. Lay chicken on the grill (skin side down first) and cook for roughly 10 minutes on each side.
TIP: They need to reach an internal temperature of 155 degrees F.
10. Remove from grill and let rest, covered for 5 more minutes.
Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy :)